Dublin Vs Louth

Team Possessions Shots Shot Rate Scores Success Rate Return Vs Expected
Dublin 53 42 79% 24 57% +1.63
Louth 31 27 87% 12 44% -4.11
avg 41.8 28.3 67.7% 14.1 49.8% 0.00

Louth were atrocious. An expected return of -4.11 is by far the worst we have seen to date. The bare numbers above, whilst damning in themselves, don’t do justice to just how poor they were. In the first half, when the game was, well, a game, Louth had an anaemic 12 possessions. In 35 minutes of football Louth had control of the football just 12 times inside the Dublin 45m line. As bad as that possession rate is they had a 27% success rate, with an expected return of -3.80, from the shots they took. Very very poor.

Overall, unlike Antrim (in the Monaghan game), they didn’t take on extremely hard shots from around the 45m line. A success rate of 44%, just about average, shows that these were not “hit and hope” shots but rather shots from “getable” ranges. The expected return of -4.11 shows that they were just poorly executed.

From play

Team Shots Scores Success Rate Vs Expected
Dublin 35 21 60% +3.45
Louth 18 4 22% -4.36
avg 21.1 9.3 44.0% 0.00

From deadballs

Team Shots Scores Success Rate Vs Expected
S Cluxton (Dub) 4 2 50% -0.78
B Brogan (Dub) 3 1 33% -1.04
D Clarke (Ant) 9 8 89% +0.25
game avgs 7.3 4.8 66.5% 0.00

Again, without laboring the point, Louth’s shooting from play was terrible.

So what of the Champions? The outing was satisfactoy; Dublin’s shooting from play was excellent (mainly due to Bernard Brogan – see below) though if there was to be one area of concern it would be their deadball striking. Brogan missed a proverbial “sitter” from in front of the posts whilst Cluxton’s 50% from long range, whilst seemingly adequate, was in fact quite poor (as can be seen from the negative return). In bigger, tighter, games they will need to perform better.

Clarke is an excellent free taker, but the sideline apart, he was expected to get the frees he did

Players with >= 3 shots from play

Shots Scores Success Rate Vs Expected
B Brogan (Dub) 7 6 86% +2.29
D Connolly (Dub) 7 3 43% -0.56
K McManamon (Dub) 7 3 43% -0.70
A Brogan (Dub) 4 2 50% +0.08
P Flynn (Dub) 3 2 67% +0.80
A Reid (Lou) 3 1 33% -0.36
D Bastick (Dub) 3 1 33% -0.42
R Carroll (Lou) 3 1 33% -0.45
P Keenan(Lou) 3 0 0% -1.77

It doesn’t get much better than that for Bernard Brogan. Rusty? If that’s him rusty then he’s in line for a better year than 2010. He is just an exceptional striker of the ball.

What Dublin need to monitor however is the supporting cast; in 2010 the only player who lent him any sort of support was Brian Cullen (note Cullen hit 2 from 2 yesterday as well). The table below shows just how poor the surrounding cast was back in 2010 (over 6 charted games).

Shots Scores Success Rate Vs Expected
B Brogan 47 28 60% +6.92
A Brogan 30 10 33% -2.90
E O’Gara 19 5 26% -4.70
C Keaney 11 2 18% -2.41
B Cullen 10 7 70% +2.81
P Flynn 9 3 33% -0.84
K McManamon 8 3 38% -1.10

It is not Bernard Brogan that Dublin supporters need to fret over – it is whether McManamon, Connolly, Alan Brogan, Flynn & O’Gara can keep up and provide the necessary support over the coming months.

Advertisements

Tags: ,

3 Responses to “Dublin Vs Louth”

  1. Action81.com » Tactics not Passion: Previewing Dublin vs. Meath – Leinster Final Says:

    […] 72 scoring chances against Louth and  Wexford. Finishing however is a concern. Dublin scored 24 of the 42 against Louth but that high miss total, 18, served as a warning for the next day. With just 13 of 30 chances […]

  2. Action81.com » Tactics not Passion: Previewing Dublin vs. Mayo Says:

    […] of Dublin’s performances in the summer have indicated they have moved on. After converting 57 percent of chances against Louth, Dublin converted 13 of 30 chances (43 percent) against Wexford, 15 of 26 (58 […]

  3. Media Watch - Pembroke Communications Says:

    […] none of Dublin’s performances in the summer have indicated they have moved on. After converting 57 percent of chances against Louth, Dublin converted 13 of 30 chances (43 percent) against Wexford, 15 of 26 (58 […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: